#5 – Does video quality matter… and how can I create quality highlights?
So many people get this 100% wrong!
And even when people get it “mostly correct”, they often miss the most important details that make their videos almost useless to a college recruiter.
But if you follow these simple steps, you’ll be able to create and publish your own highlight and “all touches” videos with ease.
2 critical things to understand when creating college recruiting highlight videos:
- College coaches will not recognize your child on the pitch even when you state their jersey number.
- The video needs to direct the college coach’s attention to the point of action you’re trying to highlight.
I see far too many videos where I have no clue where to look and no clue who I’m supposed to watch.
Things you need:
- Highlight Animation – Used to direct the coach’s attention to the point of action.
- Video Pause / Auto-Restart – Used in conjunction with the highlight animation.
- Transitions – Clearly separate individual highlights.
Things to avoid:
- No Intros – Nothing worse than a 30 second cinematic intro to waste a coach’s time and encourage him to hit the “delete” button before the action starts.
- No Music – Just skip it. No upside… all downside. Ever hear of a coach selecting a player based upon their music selection?
- No Slow Motion – Unless your kid’s the Flash, this is just another waste of time for the coach. If they really move that fast, the coach can hit the rewind button and watch it again.
- No Zoom – Keep everything on a wide angle so the coach can see what is happening in the context of the game and other players.
Now that you know what to do… let’s look at how you do it.
Video is video, so almost any video editor will get the job done.
Some video editors are just harder to use i.e. Adobe Premier and iMovie, while others are easy because they’re purpose built for the task i.e. SocrPro.
The SocrPro video editor was built for the purpose, and it publishes automatically to your FREE Player’s Page, so it’s hard to beat the combination.
Steps to create a highlight / touch video:
- Upload a Video – Or use a Shared Video from anyone on the team or share your video with anyone you choose so they can create highlights as well. This is a primary benefit of using SocrPro.
- Watch the Video – Whenever you see a great play that you want to add to your highlight video, simply click the “Highlight” button and it will create a 10-second clip with a fade in / fade out transition.
- Add Focus Animation – Click the Focus Animation button and then drag / resize the animation where you want the coach to look. This will also pause / restart the video automatically.
- Render Video – After you’ve made all your highlight selections, save the video as a highlight video and it will combine all your clips into 1 continuous highlight video.
- Publish Video – Adding and arranging your video to your Player’s Page is literally “1-click” and then drag and drop to place your new video in the desired location on your playlist.
Since your Player’s Page uses the same personalized page link no matter what you add to the page, you will use this same link to send to the college coaches every time you add an update to your page.
Remember that college coaches are human and inundated with communication from prospective players, in addition to all the other things they’re doing daily.
Repetitive follow up with updates is the key to keeping your favorite player at the top of the coach’s mind and at the front of their recruitment list.
Sign up now with https://socrpro.com